Find more information on my LinkedIn page.
University of Missouri | Columbia, Mo.
Graduate | December 2014 | Master of Arts in Journalism, Convergence Journalism
Thesis: “Increasing accessibility: How news websites can better serve people with visual disabilities.” Qualitative study involving 14 interviews with mid-Missouri residents.
Final GPA: 4.0 of 4.0
Undergraduate | May 2013 | Summa Cum Laude | Final GPA: 3.967 of 4.0
Majors: Bachelor of Journalism, Print and Digital News; Bachelor of Spanish Language
Communications Fellow | Washington, DC, metro area; details on LinkedIn | June 2018 – Present
North American Language and Culture Assistant | CEIP Arco Iris, Almería, Spain | October 2017 – May 2018
Copy Editor | Chicago Tribune, Chicago, Ill. | February – August 2017
Copy Editor | RedEye, Chicago, Ill. | June 2015 – February 2017
Copy Editing Temp | Chicago Tribune, Chicago, Ill. | August 2014 – June 2015
Assistant News Editor/Copy Editing Graduate Teaching Assistant | The Columbia Missourian, Columbia, Mo. | January – July 2014
Assistant City Editor | The Columbia Missourian, Columbia, Mo. | August – December 2013
Copy Editing Intern | The Chicago Tribune, Chicago, Ill. | May – August 2013
Assistant News Editor/Copy Editing Teaching Assistant | The Columbia Missourian, Columbia, Mo. | August 2012 – May 2013
Designer | The Columbia Missourian, Columbia, Mo. | August – December 2012
Copy Editing Intern | The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Milwaukee, Wis. | May – August 2012
Education Reporter | The Columbia Missourian | January – May 2012
Copy Editor | The Columbia Missourian | August – December 2011
Dow Jones News Fund Copy Editing Intern | The Tribune, San Luis Obispo, Calif. | June – August 2011
Neighborhoods Reporter | The Columbia Missourian | January – May 2011
Copy Editor | The Maneater student newspaper, Columbia, Mo. | January – December 2010
- Excellent communication, in writing and speaking, with people of various ages and backgrounds
- Expert knowledge of English grammar and style, including AP and AMA styles
- Thorough, efficient fact-checking and research using a variety of resources
- Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Pinterest, Instagram and Snapchat, in both personal and journalistic settings
- Understanding of and ability to work with SEO and analytics (ChartBeat, Google, WordPress)
- Solid team player on staffs of all sizes; able to lead, supervise and delegate but always willing to step in to assist others with their work, too
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent at working on short deadlines, but also able to effectively manage and execute long-term projects
- High level of fluency in Spanish, written and spoken, after almost 10 years of study, a bachelor’s degree, and 8 months living in Spain
- Command of CMS programs P2P, Django and WordPress and design programs including Adobe InDesign and Quark XPress
- Familiarity with multimedia production programs Adobe Audition, FinalCut Pro and iMovie, and experience uploading videos to YouTube
- Working knowledge of HTML and CSS
Honors and Accomplishments
- American Copy Editors Society national conference speaker, 2014 and 2015
- Named to the 2013 class of the Mizzou 39, a group that recognizes 39 graduating seniors for academic achievement, leadership and service
- 2012 American Copy Editors Society scholarship winner
- Dow Jones News Fund copy editing intern, summer 2011
- Dean’s List, University of Missouri College of Arts and Science and Missouri School of Journalism, fall 2009 through spring 2013
- University of Missouri Walter Williams journalism scholar
- Illinois Journalism Education Association All-State Journalism Team, 2009
- Illinois High School Association State Finals: 1st place copy editing 2009
- American Copy Editors Society (ACES)
- Kappa Tau Alpha journalism honors fraternity
- Learned to work as a member of a team under demanding conditions throughout eight years as a member of Marching Mizzou and the Prospect (high school) Marching Knights. Also took the initiative to make a big change and learned how to quickly adapt to a completely new role in switching from clarinet to cymbals halfway through college.
- Can memorize and relay large quantities of information in an entertaining yet informative fashion to groups of all sizes and backgrounds thanks to work as a Residential Life Ambassador (aka residence hall tour guide for prospective students) at the University of Missouri.
- Developed strong customer service skills through temporary part-time work at Nothing Bundt Cakes bakery in Mount Prospect, Ill., and Navy Pier in Chicago, Ill.